Are you looking for inspiring Memorial Day quotes for kids to honor our fallen heroes? Then you are in the right place!
Here are 85 Memorial Day Sayings for Children including matching books and activities.
Let’s have a look!
There are affiliate links in this post, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will be compensated if you click through and take action. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Memorial Day Facts for Kids
Before we get started with our Memorial Day quotes for kids, let’s learn a little bit about this holiday.
What is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day is an American holiday to honor and mourn American soldiers who have fallen while serving in the war. This patriotic holiday is also known as Decoration Day.
It was celebrated first in 1868.
When is Memorial Day Celebrated?
Memorial Day is celebrated on the last Monday of May. This year Memorial Day falls on Monday, 2023.
Memorial Day Traditions
You might wonder how Americans celebrate Memorial Day.
It is observed with parades, religious services, nationwide speeches, and by laying of a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown at the National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.
While others use this long weekend to host barbecues, have a lake day, or go camping.
Memorial Day Books for Kids
Here are some great Memorial Day books your children will enjoy:
Are you interested in more kid’s activities, arts & crafts, and science experiments?
I have made it easy for you! Join our newsletter now and I will send you new fun for kids.
Subscribe for free
85 Best Memorial Day Quotes for Kids
Let’s honor our fallen heroes on this special day with one of our happy Memorial Day quotes.
Our list includes happy Memorial Day messages for kids, top Memorial Day quotes and sayings, happy Memorial Day wishes for kids, fun Memorial Day quotes, short Memorial Day phrases, and many more.
Let’s have a look and get inspired!
Memorial Day Sayings for Kids
First I like to start off with our Memorial Day quotes for kids:
- “Join us today to count our blessings and stand proud. Happy Memorial Day!” – Unknown
- “May we never forget our fallen comrades. Freedom isn’t free.” – Sgt. Major Bill Paxton
- “Thank you to the brave men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.” – Unknown
- “Let us gather together in celebration and remembrance of our heroes who have fallen. Happy Memorial Day!”
- “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – Norman Schwarzkopf
- “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes.” – Maya Angelou
- “Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.” – Unknown
- “The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude.” – Jeff Miller
- “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” – Mark Twain
- “Our nation owes a debt to its fallen heroes that we can never fully repay.” – Barack Obama
“Take a moment this weekend to honor those who served our nation and are no longer with us”Unknown
Happy Memorial Day Quotes 2023
Next are our happy Memorial Day Messages for kids:
- “Fallen, but not forgotten. Happy Memorial Day 2023.” – Unknown
- “There is nothing nobler than risking your life for your country.” – Nick Lampson
- “This Memorial Day, we remember those heroes who courageously gave their lives.” – Unknown
- “And if words cannot repay the debt we owe these men, surely with our actions we must strive to keep faith with them and with the vision that led them to battle and to final sacrifice.” – Ronald Reagan
- “Let’s take a moment of silence to remember and honor the sacrifices of the thousands of men and women who gave up their lives for our country. Happy Memorial Day!” – Unknown
- “The brave die never, though they sleep in the dust, their courage nerves a thousand living men.” – Minot J. Savage
- “To those in uniform serving today and to those who have served in the past, we honor you today and every day.” – Unknown
- “A man is a patriot if his heart beats true to his country.” – Charles E. Jefferson
- “The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “We don’t know them all, but we owe them all.” – Unknown
“No words can compensate for the loss of the brave men and women who sacrificed their lives. We respect them, honor them, and forever remember them.”John 15:13
Short Memorial Day Quotes
Followed by our kid’s quotes about Memorial Day:
- “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.” – Nathan Hale
- “Never was so much owed by so many few.” – Winston Churchill
- “Join us this Memorial Day as we remember and honor our heroes.” – Unknown
- “America without her soldiers would be like God without his angels.” – Claudia Pemberton
- “Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.”- John Adamsweb
- “I have long believed that sacrifice is the pinnacle of patriotism.” – Bob Riley
- “Thank you to all those who have guarded my freedom and peace.” – Unknown
- “Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours.” – Wallace Bruce
- “The patriot’s blood is the seed of freedom’s tree.” – Thomas Campbell
- “Take a moment this Memorial Day to honor those who have fallen to serve our nation.” – Unknown
“Heros never die!”Unknown
Thank You Memorial Day Quotes for Kids
Afterward, check out our Memorial Day thank you quotes:
- “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.” – James Allen
- “In honor of those who fought for our freedom until their dying breath, we remember and thank them on this Memorial Day.” – Unknown
- “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
- “Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices.” – Harry S. Truman
- “Our deepest gratitude goes to our beloved sons and daughters who gave us a chance to make this world a better place.” – Unknown
- “Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don’t know how far we can go.” – Bernard Malamud
- “This Memorial Day we appreciate all the great deeds and sacrifices done to grant us a chance to enjoy freedom.” – Unknown
- “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.” – St. Ambrosela
- “Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of a readiness to die.” – G.K. Chesterton
- “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” – Cynthia Ozick
Quotes for Memorial Day
How about these happy Memorial Day quotes for 2023:
- “I believe our flag is more than just cloth and ink. It is a universally recognized symbol that stands for liberty, and freedom. It is the history of our nation, and it’s marked by the blood of those who died defending it.” – John Thune
- “Duty, honor, country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.” – Gen. Douglas MacArthur
- “My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” – John F. Kennedy
- “Join us in praise of the brave men and women who sacrificed their lives in the name of the United States of America.” – Unknown
- “What I can do for my country, I am willing to do.” – Christopher Gadsden
- “Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America.” – William J. Clinton
- “Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.” – Sun Tzu
- “Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Each Memorial Day, we honor those who died for the United States. May their sacrifice be a constant reminder of things that matter.” – Unknown
“There is nothing wrong with America that can not be cured with what is right in America.”Williams J. Clinton
Remember Memorial Day Quotes for Kids
What do you think about these never forget Memorial Day quotes?
- “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived.” – George S. Patton
- “Without memory, there is no culture. Without memory, there would be no civilization, no society, no future.” – Elie Wiesel
- “Let their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored.” – Daniel Webster
- “Heroism doesn’t always happen in a burst of glory. Sometimes small triumphs and large hearts change the course of history.” – Mary Roach
- “And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier’s tomb a beauty weeps the brave.” – Unknown
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
- “Remember our fallen heroes on Memorial Day. They are the reason that we are free.” – Unknown
- “In honor of Memorial Day, let us take inspiration from the brave soldiers who gave up their lives and become good citizens of our nation.” – Unknown
- “So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.” – Helen Keller
- “On Memorial Day, we keep alive the memory of those who died for our country.” – Unknown
“Here men endured that a nation might live.”Herbert Hoover
Fallen Soldiers Quotes
Time for our fallen soldiers quotes:
- “This Memorial Day, we thank the fallen heroes of America who gave their lives to serve the nation.” – Unknown
- “Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.” – Unknown
- “And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.” – Lee Greenwood
- “May each one of us take inspiration this Memorial Day from the patriotism of the brave soldiers who died for our country.” – Unknown
- “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
- “The legacy of heroes – the memory of a great name, and the inheritance of a great example.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier’s tomb, and beauty weeps the brave.” – Joseph Rodman Drake
- “They never came back, their silence lives on. We remember the fallen this Memorial Day.” – Unknown
- “For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue.” – James A. Garfield
- “No words can compensate for the loss of the brave men and women who sacrificed their lives. We respect them, honor them, and forever remember them.” – Unknown
Quotes About Memorial Day
Last but not least are our quotes for Memorial Day:
- “Over all our happy country over all our Nation spread, is a band of noble heroes – is our Army of the Dead.” – Will Carleton
- “Ceremonies are important. But our gratitude has to be more than visits to the troops, and once-a-year Memorial Day ceremonies. We honor the dead best by treating the living well.” – Jennifer M. Granholm
- “In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” – Martin Luther King Jr
- “Let Memorial Day be a day to count our blessings and remember those who serve to protect our country and our freedom.” – Unknown
- “A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.” – Bob Dylan
- “No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he is vigilant in its preservation.” – General Douglas MacArthur
- “This is the day we pay homage to all those who didn’t come home. This is not Veterans Day, it’s not a celebration, it is a day of solemn contemplation over the cost of freedom.” – Tamra Bolton
- “Never forget the price we’ve paid for our independence.” – Unknown
- “Heroism is not only in the man, but in the occasion.” – Calvin Coolidge
- “Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.” – John Adams
“A man is a patriot if his heart beats true to his country.”Charles E. Jefferson
Please be aware that all quotations without an author are from an unknown source.
All visual learners can check out our video here.
I also like to introduce you to the following quotes for kids:
- Patriotic Quotes
- Thankful Quotes
- Superhero Quotes
- Presidents Quotes
- 9/11 Quotes
- June Quotes
- Love Quotes
- Gratitude Quotes
- Kindness Quotes
- Giving Sayings
- Honesty Quotes
- Generosity Quotes
- Friendship Quotes for Kids
- Camping Quotes
- Quotes for Special Occasions
Easy Memorial Day Activities
After you are done with these fun Memorial Day quotes and sayings for kids, go check out some matching activities:
- Firework Art
- Memorial Day Sensory Bin
- Red and Blue Fruit Sparklers
- American Flag Snack Tray
- Easy Memorial Day Crafts
- American Flag Lantern
Pin Our Happy Memorial Day Quotes for Kids
Don’t forget to save our 85 Happy Memorial Day Wishes for Kids on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Lil Tigers here.
Now I would like to hear from you!
Which saying about Memorial Day for kids did you choose? Did you find a better one?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now.
I love to hear from you!