Choose one of our two blank Elf on the Shelf letter printables and explore what you can do with them below.
Free Printable Elf on the Shelf Letter Templates
I will use them as Elf on the Shelf arrival letter printables and different messages during his visit.
Our letter template for your Elf on the Shelf is pretty easy to use and gives you many different options to use them for.
Let’s get started.
Materials for Elf on the Shelf Letter Template
- Free Printable Elf on the Shelf Letter Template PDF (found below)
Elf on the Shelf Writing Template Instructions
Our Elf on the Shelf printables is pretty self-explaining.
- Print your Elf on the Shelf Welcome Letter Template (link below)
- Choose which of both Elf on the Shelf letter printable layouts you like to use.
- Write a letter from the Elf on the Shelf to your children.
- Hide your personal Elf on the Shelf Letter Printout together with your elf.
Ideas for Elf on the Shelf Letter Templates
The benefit of our blank Elf on the Shelf letter printables is that they can be used in many different ways.
You can use them as:
- Elf on the Shelf Welcome Letter Template
- Elf on the Shelf Goodbye Letter Printable
- Any Elf on the Shelf Message to your children
- Printable Elf on the Shelf Naughty or Nice List
- Elf on the Shelf Letter to Santa
- Elf on the Shelf Departure Letter Template
What will you use our elf printables for? As Elf on the Shelf Arrival letter, or Elf on the Shelf Quotes?
Either way, let me know!
Elf on the Shelf Letter Template Wording Ideas
Depending on what you like to use our Elf on the Shelf Letter Template for there are several wording ideas I enjoy using.
Fun Elf on the Shelf Jokes
Why not add a fun joke to your Elf on the Shelf Writing Template?
Here are 7 funny Elf Jokes for you to get inspired:
- What was the name of the girl elf on the shelf? Miss Chievous.
- What brand of cookies does the Elf on the Shelf like most? Keebler (made by elves with efin magic)
- Why is the elf on the shelf’s favorite school subject? Spilling.
- What do fish call Elf shenanigans leading up to Christmas? Elf on the Shelfish.
- What was the elf on the shelf’s favorite Olympic event? North Pole-vault
- How do you let your elf on the Shelf know you have arrived? Ring his jingle bell!
- What’s the Jewish version of Elf on a Shelf? Mensch on a bench
To check out more Elf on the Shelf Jokes, go check our full list of 160 Elf Jokes including 24 Free Printable Elf on the Shelf Joke Cards here.
Cute Elf on the Shelf Quotes
Quotes are always a great idea to start a nice letter. Check out our quotes about Elves on the Shelf next:
- Who Wants To Play Hide And Seek?
- It May Be Cold Outside, But I’m Toasty Inside
- I only pray that every day is like Christmas day.
- I just love my elf so much I cannot live without him.
- Go on and treat your-elf.
- Have a little elf-estem.
- This is so elfy. I can almost smell mischief in the air.
To see the full list of 160 Elf on the Shelf Quotes including free printable cards simply follow the link!
Or maybe even a cute Santa Quote would work!
Elf on the Shelf Arrival Letter Ideas
In case you like to use our Elf on the Shelf Letter Template as welcome back letter, check out these adorable Elf on the Shelf arrival letter wording ideas:
- Classic Arrival: “Greetings [Child’s Name]! The snow has fallen, and the holiday spirit is in the air! I’m thrilled to let you know that I’ve flown all the way from the North Pole to spend this festive season with you. Get ready for magical moments, silly surprises, and lots of ‘elf’-in fun! Let the holiday adventures begin! Twinkling wishes, [Elf’s Name]”
- Adventure Awaits: “Dear [Child’s Name], Shhh… Do you hear the jingle of bells and the whispers of holiday magic? That’s because I, your mischievous friend, have landed in your home for a season of enchantment! Get set for a sleigh-load of surprises, giggles, and ‘elf’-ish adventures. Buckle up for the most wonderful time of the year! Sparklingly, [Elf’s Name]”
- The Festive Announcement: “Ho, ho, ho, [Child’s Name]! Guess who’s back and ready for a holly-jolly time? Yours truly, the Elf on the Shelf! I’ve journeyed from the North Pole to turn your home into a winter wonderland of joy and excitement. Get ready for days filled with magic, laughter, and heartwarming moments. Let the holiday festivities commence! Jingling cheer, [Elf’s Name]”
Elf on the Shelf Departing Letter Ideas
When it is time to say goodbye these farewell Elf on the Shelf wording ideas will help you out:
- Fond Farewell: “Dear [Child’s Name], The time has come for me to bid adieu and journey back to the North Pole. I want to thank you for sharing your home, laughter, and joy with me. Your kindness has made this holiday season truly magical. Remember, the spirit of Christmas is always in your heart. Until next year, keep spreading joy and believing in the magic! Wishing you the merriest of days, [Elf’s Name]”
- Season’s End: “Goodbye, dear [Child’s Name]! As the snowflakes settle and the holiday lights twinkle, it’s time for me to return to the North Pole. Thank you for the incredible adventures, the warm hugs, and the endless joy. Carry the holiday spirit in your heart, and remember, the magic of Christmas is forever. Until we meet again next year! Yours in festive spirit, [Elf’s Name]”
- Elfish Farewell: “Farewell, [Child’s Name]! The tinsel has been unraveled, and the final ‘elf’-ish giggles echo through the air. It’s time for me to take off on my sleigh back to the North Pole. Thank you for the festive fun, the cozy moments, and the joy we shared. Keep the holiday magic alive in your heart. Looking forward to another ‘elf’-in adventure next year! Jingly wishes, [Elf’s Name]”
How to Download Your Free Printable Elf on the Shelf Letter Templates Pdf
Elf on the Shelf FAQ’s
How did you enjoy our Elf on the Shelf letter ideas? In case you like to know more about this fun Elf on the Shelf tradition check out our FAQs.
What Is an Elf on the Shelf?
The Elf on the Shelf is a Christmas tradition centered around Scout Elves who fly each night to the North Pole to report to Saint Nick if each child is naughty or nice.
With their Scout Elf around kids love to maintain their best behavior, to make sure to be on Santa’s nice list!
What Are the Rules for Elf on a Shelf?
There are three rules for the Elf on the Shelf your family should follow:
- Don’t touch your Scout Elf, or they will lose their magic!
- Your Elf can’t talk but they are great listeners. Your children can share secrets and wishes with their elves as often as they’d like.
- On Christmas Eve it is time to say goodbye to your Scout Elf. All elves will return to Santa to prepare for the next Christmas.
How Does the Elf on the Shelf Tradition Work?
Each Scout Elf arrives at home in a keepsake box set that features a storybook. This elf book explains how the Elf on the Shelf works.
- 1. Read the Story and Name your Elf
After your elf arrives at your home read the story to your children, then it is crucial that you name your own scout elf.
- 2. Follow the Rules
- 3. Let the Magic Begin
When Scout Elves return each night from the North Pole, they land in a different hiding spot in your home. The founder of the Elf on the Shelf refers to this as “elf ideas.”
Essentially, elf ideas are photos or instructions that inspire elves’ new landing spots or gimmicks. Let your creativity free range.
In case you need some easy ideas, go check out these Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas.
These and more Elf on the Shelf facts and ideas can be found on the official Elf on the Shelf homepage.
Do Parents Move the Elf on the Shelf Yes or No?
Yes, the tradition of the Elf on the Shelf involves parents moving the elf.
The Elf on the Shelf is a popular holiday tradition in which parents place a small elf doll in different locations around the house each night during the holiday season.
The idea is that the elf is Santa’s scout and reports back to Santa each night about the children’s behavior. The fun for children comes from discovering where the elf is located each morning.
Parents typically move the elf after their children go to bed to create a sense of magic and excitement during the holiday season.
How Many Times Can You Touch an Elf on the Shelf?
According to the “Elf on the Shelf” tradition, it is generally advised that children do not touch the elf.
The story goes that if the elf is touched, it may lose its magic and be unable to fly back to the North Pole to report to Santa.
However, the specific “rules” for touching the elf can vary from family to family, and some families may choose to modify or ignore this aspect of the tradition.
Ultimately, the decision about how strictly to enforce the “no touching” rule is up to the parents or guardians implementing the tradition in their household.
Some families may encourage their children not to touch the elf at all, while others may be more lenient about it. It’s all in good fun and meant to enhance the holiday spirit for the children.
Easy Elf on the Shelf Hacks
Once you have set your mind and your family is adapting an Elf on the Shelf the most important thing to remember is to stay calm, don’t panic. There are a couple of Elf on the Shelf tricks you can follow to avoid stress:
- Keep Calm
- Plan ahead
- Use easy Ideas
Check out our list of 12 Easy Elf on the Shelf Hacks and Ideas everyone should know here.
What Are the Negatives of Elf on the Shelf?
While many families enjoy the Elf on the Shelf tradition, there are some criticisms and potential negatives associated with it.
Here are a few concerns that some people have raised:
- Stress for Parents
- Inequality in Participation
- Focus on Behavior Surveillance
- Disruption of Sleep
- Potential for Disappointment
It’s important to note that these concerns are subjective, and many families find the Elf on the Shelf tradition to be a delightful and enjoyable part of their holiday celebrations.
Whether or not to incorporate the Elf on the Shelf into your holiday traditions is a personal choice, and families can adapt the tradition to suit their values and preferences.
Elf on the Shelf Books and Toy
- The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition with Brown Eyed North Pole Pixie-elf with Bonus “An Elf Story” DVD
- The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition and Elf on The Shelf Hot Chocolate Gift Bundle – Original Scout Elf, Story Book and Cocoa
- The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition Brown Eyed North Pole Elf Boy with The Elf on a Shelf: Elf Pets A Reindeer Elf Pets Storybook
Easy Elf on the Shelf Activities and Winter Crafts
Our Elf on the Shelf letter templates weren’t enough for you?
Then how about some more Elf on the Shelf activities or holiday crafts to get into the Christmas mood?
Here is a list of Winter Activities you can make easily at home or in your classroom:
- Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- 11 Excuses To Use If You’re Caught Moving The Elf
- Easy Elf on the Shelf Science Ideas
- DIY Elf Hat
- Elf Ornament
- Grinch Quotes
- 12 Days of Christmas Activities
- Gingerbread Man Card Template
- Penguin Card Template
- Mitten Craft
- Winter Hat Art and Craft
- Snowman Luminaries
- Snowflake Crystal Ornaments
- Snowman Glitter Jar
- Cupcake Liner Ornaments
- Reindeer Templates
- Candy Cane Printouts
- December Crafts
- Winter Scavenger Hunt
- Winter Bingo
- Christmas Bingo
- Christmas Tree Projects
- Christmas Crafts
- New Years Game
- New Year Activities
- Free Printable New Year Bingo
Pin Our Free Elf on the Shelf Letter Printables
Don’t forget to save our free Elf on the Shelf printable letters on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Lil Tigers.
Now I would like to hear from you!
Which Elf on the Shelf Welcome Letter Template is your favorite? Or do you use both letter templates for your Elf on the Shelf?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now. I love to hear from you!