Are you looking for easy and lazy Elf on the Shelf ideas? Then you are in the right place!
Here are 80 Last-minute Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Moms.
The setup doesn’t take longer than 5 minutes and is super easy.
Let’s have a look!
There are affiliate links in this post, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will be compensated if you click through and take action. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
- Elf on the Shelf Facts
- Easy Elf on the Shelf Hacks
- Elf on the Shelf Accessories
- 80 Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- 1. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Shelf
- 2. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Get an Elf on the Shelf Pet
- 3. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Snow Angels
- 4. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Candy Jar
- 5. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Quotes
- 6. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Jokes
- 7. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Elf Letters
- 8. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Puzzle
- 9. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Board Games
- 10. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Card Game
- 11. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Hanging Around
- 12. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Mason Jar
- 13. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Superman
- 14. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Garbage Truck
- 15. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Star Wars Ride
- 16. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Ride the Train
- 17. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Car Ride
- 18. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Jurassic Park
- 19. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Horse
- 20. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Dress Up
- 21. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Fruit Fun
- 22. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Christmas Tree
- 23. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Utensil Rack
- 24. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Drawers
- 25. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Duplo Play
- 26. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Frozen
- 27. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Reindeer
- 28. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Household items
- 29. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Privacy Please
- 30. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Christmas Decoration
- 31. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Christmas Stockings
- 32. More Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Easy Holiday Activities for Kids
- Pin Our Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Kids
Elf on the Shelf Facts
Before we get started with our mom’s lazy Elf on the Shelf ideas, let’s learn a little bit about this elf tradition.
What Is an Elf on the Shelf?
The Elf on the Shelf is a Christmas tradition centered around Scout Elves who fly each night to the North Pole to report to Santa if each child is naughty or nice.
With their Scout Elf around kids love to maintain their best behavior, to make sure to be on Santa’s nice list!
How Does the Elf on the Shelf Tradition work?
Each Scout Elf arrives at home in a keepsake box set that features a storybook. This book explains how the Elf on the Shelf works.
- 1. Read the Story and Name your Elf
After your elf arrived at your house read the story to your children, then it is crucial that you name your scout elf.
- 2. Follow the Rules
There are three rules you and your children should follow:
- Don’t touch your Scout Elf, or they will lose their magic!
- Your Elf can’t talk but they are great listeners. Your children can share secrets and wishes with their elves as often as they’d like.
- On Christmas Eve it is time to say goodbye to your Scout Elf. All elves will return to Santa to prepare for the next Christmas.
- 3. Let the Magic Begin
When Scout Elves return each night from Santa they land in a different spot in your home. The founder of the Elf on the Shelf refers to this as “elf ideas.”
Essentially, elf ideas are photos or instructions that inspire elves’ new landing spots or gimmicks. Let your creativity free range.
These and more Elf on the Shelf facts and inspirations can be found on the official elf page.
Easy Elf on the Shelf Hacks
If you are just starting out, I made a list of 13 Must Know Elf on the Shelf Hacks they will get you on the right track.
- Plan ahead of Time
- Set an Alarm
- Get Helpers
Planning ahead of time, setting an alarm, or selecting elf helpers are just some of them. To read our full list simply click on the link above.
Elf on the Shelf Accessories
I assume you might already have an Elf on the Shelf. Therefore here is a list of fun Elf on the Shelf accessories to spice your adventures up:
- 15 PCS Santa-Couture Clothing-Accessories Set Include Skirts, Mermaid, Bathrobe, Sleeping Bag, Fluffy Vest, Shirt, T-Shirt, Dot Scarf and 2 Pairs of Boots, Fits for Elf-Doll
- 6 Pieces Santa Clothing Elf Doll Dance Skirt Set Christmas Elf Skirts for Elf Doll Xmas Holiday Decorations
80 Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
Wheater your Elf on the Shelf is visiting your classroom or at home. Here are a couple of lazy elf ideas that take less than 5 minutes to prepare and will save you from insanity.
Because let’s be honest, who didn’t wake up in the morning yet and forgot to move the elf? No panic, you will love the following quick Elf on the Shelf ideas!
1. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Shelf
The best and quickest idea ever is to sit your elf on a shelf!
This is so funny but true. Move them from one shelf to another till they moved through all rooms in your house.
2. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Get an Elf on the Shelf Pet
Does your elf already have a pet?
There is three official Elf on the Shelf pets. A reindeer, fox, and dog. They will help you switch things up and create new ideas.
You can find them here:
3. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Snow Angels
If you do not feel like spending money simply use pantry items for new last-minute Elf on the Shelf ideas.
For example, with the help of flour, you can create fake snow and create snow angels.
Simply spread flour on your kitchen counter, and remove the flour to create a snow angel figure as shown in the picture.
Then place your elf in the middle.
4. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Candy Jar
Does your elf like candy? I m sure he gets hungry after a long flight to Santa.
Time to load up on sugar with this fun easy Elf on the Shelf candy idea.
Here is a list of great Elf on the Shelf Pantry Items:
5. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Quotes
One of the fastest options is using free printables for your Elf on the Shelf.
In case your elf is a smarty pant you could try one of these 60 Elf on the Shelf Quotes with printable quote cards.
Simply print your set of 24 elf quotes and use one quote a day and place it next to your elf.
6. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Jokes
If you prefer your elf to be funny, check out the following 135 Elf on the Shelf Jokes next.
Here are some Elf on the Shelf Jokes examples, the full list can be found in the link above:
- What was the name of the girl elf on the shelf? Miss Chievous.
- What brand of cookies does the elf on the shelf like most? Keebler (made by elves with elfin magic)
- Why is the elf on the shelf’s favorite school subject? Spilling.
They also come with free elf joke printables. Once you cut them out you are good to go.
7. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Elf Letters
You will not believe it but Elf on the Shelf letters are a thing. Only because your elf can not speak doesn’t mean he can’t communicate with you via letter.
Here is some blank Elf on the Shelf Letter Templates you can use for your letter from or even to the Elfs.
They can also be used as:
- Elf on the Shelf Welcome Letter
- Letter to Santa
- Christmas Wishlist
- Goodbye Letter from Elf
Download your own Blank Elf on the Shelf Letter Templates here.
8. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Puzzle
Get your kid’s puzzle out and let your elf start it!
9. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Board Games
If your elf isn’t too much into puzzles then try a board game instead. Just use the next best one you can find and set it up so he can play it!
10. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Card Game
Do you want to be a little bit naughty tonight? Then let your elf play a game of strip poker cards. Use some naked barbies and set them up to play cards.
This is too funny!
11. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Hanging Around
For this easy Elf on the Shelf lazy idea simply take a kid’s cloth hanger or your pants hanger. Attach your elf to it and let them hang off your lamp or wherever you like!
12. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Mason Jar
If you are tired of moving your elf around simply put in him a mason jar and let him be in quarantine.
This also works well if your children want to take your elf to school. This way they can take him or her with them and do not have to touch them!
13. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Superman
Our elf got to hang out with Super Man and even borrow his cape to fly back to Santa
14. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Garbage Truck
Next, our elf wanted to be in charge of the garbage truck at our house. What a big helper!
15. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Star Wars Ride
Did you get some flying toys at home? Use them to get your elf back to the Northpole. Our funny elf decides on an X-wing Fighter. But really any airplane or helicopter would work.
16. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Ride the Train
Do you have a toy train at home? It does not matter if it is electronic or out of wood. Build a small track and let your elf ride the train tonight.
If it is already set up, even better, all you have to do is sit your elf next, or on top of the train!
17. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Car Ride
Most boys have cars at home. The bigger the car the better, maybe your elf even fits in it. A barbie car for example would be perfect!
18. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Jurassic Park
Your child is into dinosaurs, he or she will love it if you set up a small Jurassic park and maybe even let your elf right T-rex!
19. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Horse
Time to ride a barbie horse our elf thought!
20. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Dress Up
If you have a daughter I m sure you have some dolls or barbies at home. Your elf would love to play dress up and try some of their doll cloth on.
Don’t worry, they do not even need to fit perfectly for this lazy mom Elf on the Shelf idea.
There are also fitting Elf Cloth if you prefer to buy some!
21. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Fruit Fun
As mentioned above fruit is a great way of letting your creativity free range.
For example, let him draw funny faces on bananas with a sharpie!
22. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Christmas Tree
Is your Christmas tree already up? Then why not let your elf explore your tree? It is the perfect lazy hiding spot!
23. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Utensil Rack
Depending on how difficult you like to hide your elf on the shelf in your cattery drawer. Remove your forks or knifes and place your elf in their place.
This is done in 1 minute and your kids will have to search forever!
24. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Drawers
Open your kid’s cloth drawers and place your elf on top of some cloth.
You can even let him be naughty and through some cloth out and let him hang from an open drawer. That’s always a fun idea!
25. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Duplo Play
Today your elf is resting in style. Simply build him quick a throne out of Duplo or Lego blocks.
26. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Frozen
To save you some days from hiding your elf, you can freeze him in water. Place Elsa in front of the elf ice cube and your kids will have to wait till he unfreezes again.
I have to say that is too funny!
27. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Reindeer
Do you have a reindeer for your Christmas decoration at home? Then your elf can use it to ride home to Santa.
Just like Santa and his flying reindeer.
28. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Household items
Household items are great products to use for your elf.
You could hide him in a toilet paper roll. You can even paint snowman buttons on it and let him be a snowman.
That same idea works with paper rolls.
29. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Privacy Please
Even elves need to use the restroom at some point.
This elf hiding space is not only fun but makes the perfect easy Elf on the Shelf idea.
Place a Hershey Kiss inside a glass and let your elf use the restroom!
30. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Christmas Decoration
This time my elf ended up looking out of Santa’s sack. The more simple the ideas, the faster this lazy Elf on the Shelf ideas are.
31. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Christmas Stockings
Can you spot our elf? He is trying to reach into our Christmas socks!
32. More Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
If these lazy elves on the shelf ideas for you as a mom weren’t enough, go check out the following ideas next:
- The floor is lave ideas (stick your elf against the wall with painter’s tape)
- Hide him in the washing machine
- Wrap him in toilet paper
- Let him be “toasty” and make a toasted sandwich out of him
- Build him a bed out of a tissue paper box
- Let him draw an elf picture of himself
- Send him off to the Northpole as a package
- Let him read a book
- Elves like to play PlayStation or the Xbox
- He or She likes to play twister (draw their own game mat on a computer paper)
- Build him a candy cane sled
- 25 Quick Elf on the Shelf Activities
- 10 Easy Hiding Spaces
- 24 Days Elf Science Activities
- DIY Elf on the Shelf Ring Toss
- 30 Quick Elf on the Shelf Ideas
For all visual learners, here are 25 Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas for you:
Easy Holiday Activities for Kids
Did you enjoy our easy lazy Elf on the Shelf ideas for kids? Your children will also enjoy our other winter activities during this jolly season!
- 12 Days of Christmas Activities
- Free Printable Gingerbread Man Templates
- Gingerbread Man Quotes
- Gingerbread Man Jokes
- Penguin Card Template
- Snowglobe Printables
- Penguin Jokes
- Mitten Craft
- Winter Hat Art and Craft
- Snowman Luminaries
- Snowman Glitter Jar
- Cupcake Liner Ornaments
- Snowflake Crystal Ornaments
- Reindeer Templates
- Candy Cane Printouts
- December Crafts
- Winter Scavenger Hunt
- Christmas Tree Projects
- Winter Bingo
- Christmas Bingo
- Christmas Crafts
- New Years Game
- New Year Activities
- Free Printable New Year Bingo
- Saint Nicholas Day Wishes
- Winter Quotes
- Advent Sayings
- December Phrases
- Snow Quotes
- Penguin Quotes
- Star Sayings
- Thankful Phrases
- Gratitude Quotes
- Giving Slogans
- Christmas Wishes
- New Years Wishes
- Occasion Quotes
Pin Our Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Kids
Don’t forget to save our 80 Lazy Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Lil Tigers here.
Now I would like to hear from you!
Which lazy idea for Elves on the Shelf did you like best? Do you have a better one?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now.
I love to hear from you!