Are you looking for easy and lazy Elf on the Shelf ideas? Then you are in the right place!
Here are 100+ Last-minute Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Moms.
The setup doesn’t take longer than 5 minutes and is super easy.
Let’s have a look!
There are affiliate links in this post, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will be compensated if you click through and take action. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
100+ Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
Whether your Elf on the Shelf is visiting your classroom or at home. Here are a couple of lazy elf ideas that take less than 5 minutes to prepare and will save you from insanity.
Because let’s be honest, who didn’t wake up in the morning yet and forgot to move the elf? No panic, you will love the following quick Elf on the Shelf ideas!
1. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Shelf
The best and quickest idea ever is to sit your elf on a shelf!
This is so funny but true. Move them from one shelf to another till they move through all the rooms in your house.
2. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Get an Elf on the Shelf Pet
Does your elf already have a pet?
There are three official Elf on the Shelf pets. A reindeer, fox, and dog. They will help you switch things up and create new ideas.
You can find them here:
3. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Snow Angels
If you do not feel like spending money simply use pantry items for new last-minute Elf on the Shelf ideas.
For example, with the help of flour, you can create fake snow and create snow angels.
Simply spread flour on your kitchen counter, and remove the flour to create a snow angel figure as shown in the picture.
Then place your elf in the middle.
4. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Candy Jar
Does your elf like candy? I m sure he gets hungry after a long flight to Santa.
Time to load up on sugar with this fun easy Elf on the Shelf candy idea.
Here is a list of great Elf on the Shelf Pantry Items:
5. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Quotes
One of the fastest options is using free printables for your Elf on the Shelf.
In case your elf is a smarty pant you could try one of these 60 Elf on the Shelf Quotes with printable quote cards.
Simply print your set of 24 elf quotes and use one each day and place it next to your elf.
6. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Jokes
If you prefer your elf to be funny, check out the following 135 Elf on the Shelf Jokes next.
Here are some Elf on the Shelf Jokes examples, the full list can be found in the link above:
- What was the name of the girl elf on the shelf? Miss Chievous.
- What brand of cookies does the elf on the shelf like most? Keebler (made by elves with elfin magic)
- Why is the elf on the shelf’s favorite school subject? Spilling.
They also come with free elf joke printables. Once you cut them out you are good to go.
7. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Elf Letters
You will not believe it but Elf on the Shelf letters are a thing. Just because your elf can not speak doesn’t mean he can’t communicate with you via letter.
Here are some blank Elf on the Shelf Letter Templates you can use for your letter from or even to the Elves.
They can also be used as:
- Elf on the Shelf Welcome Letter
- Letter to Santa
- Christmas Wishlist
- Goodbye Letter from Elf
Download your own Blank Elf on the Shelf Letter Templates here.
8. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Puzzle
Get your kid’s puzzle out and let your elf start it!
9. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Board Games
If your elf isn’t too much into puzzles then try a board game instead. Just use the next best one you can find and set it up so he can play it!
10. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Card Game
Do you want to be a little bit naughty tonight? Then let your elf play a game of strip poker cards. Use some naked Barbies and set them up to play cards.
This is too funny!
11. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Hanging Around
For this easy Elf on the Shelf lazy idea simply take a kid’s cloth hanger or your pants hanger. Attach your elf to it and let them hang off your lamp or wherever you like!
12. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Mason Jar
If you are tired of moving your elf around simply put in him a mason jar and let him be in quarantine.
This also works well if your children want to take your elf to school. This way they can take him or her with them and do not have to touch them!
13. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Superman
Our elf got to hang out with Super Man and even borrow his cape to fly back to Santa
14. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Garbage Truck
Next, our elf wanted to be in charge of the garbage truck at our house. What a big helper!
15. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Star Wars Ride
Did you get some flying toys at home? Use them to get your elf back to the North Pole. Our funny elf decides on an X-wing Fighter. But really any airplane or helicopter would work.
16. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Ride the Train
Do you have a toy train at home? It does not matter if it is electronic or out of wood. Build a small track and let your elf ride the train tonight.
If it is already set up, even better, all you have to do is sit your elf next to or on top of the train!
17. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Car Ride
Most boys have cars at home. The bigger the car the better, maybe your elf even fits in it. A Barbie car for example would be perfect!
18. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Jurassic Park
Your child is into dinosaurs, he or she will love it if you set up a small Jurassic park and maybe even let your elf right T-rex!
19. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Horse
Time to ride a Barbie horse our elf thought!
20. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Dress Up
If you have a daughter I m sure you have some dolls or Barbies at home. Your elf would love to play dress up and try some of their doll cloth on.
Don’t worry, they do not even need to fit perfectly for this lazy mom Elf on the Shelf idea.
There are also fitting Elf Cloth if you prefer to buy some!
21. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Fruit Fun
As mentioned above fruit is a great way of letting your creativity free range.
For example, let him draw funny faces on bananas with a Sharpie!
22. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Christmas Tree
Is your Christmas tree already up? Then why not let your elf explore your tree? It is the perfect lazy hiding spot!
23. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Utensil Rack
Depending on how difficult you like to hide your elf on the shelf in your cattery drawer. Remove your forks or knives and place your elf in their place.
This is done in 1 minute and your kids will have to search forever!
24. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Drawers
Open your kid’s cloth drawers and place your elf on top of some cloth.
You can even let him be naughty and through some cloth out and let him hang from an open drawer. That’s always a fun idea!
25. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Duplo Play
Today your elf is resting in style. Simply build him a throne out of Duplo or Lego blocks.
26. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Frozen
To save you some days from hiding your elf, you can freeze him in water. Place Elsa in front of the elf ice cube and your kids will have to wait till he unfreezes again.
I have to say that is very funny!
27. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Reindeer
Do you have a reindeer for your Christmas decoration at home? Then your elf can use it to ride home to Santa.
Just like Santa and his flying reindeer.
28. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Household items
Household items are great products to use for your elf.
You could hide him in a toilet paper roll. You can even paint snowman buttons on it and let him be a snowman.
That same idea works with paper rolls.
29. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Privacy Please
Even elves need to use the restroom at some point.
This elf hiding space is not only fun but makes the perfect easy Elf on the Shelf idea.
Place a Hershey Kiss inside a glass and let your elf use the restroom!
30. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Christmas Decoration
This time my elf ended up looking out of Santa’s sack. The more simple the ideas, the faster this lazy Elf on the Shelf ideas are.
31. Lazy Elf on the Shelf Idea: Christmas Stockings
Can you spot our elf? He is trying to reach into our Christmas socks!
More Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas
If these lazy elves on the shelf ideas for you as a mom weren’t enough, go check out the following ideas next:
- The floor is lave ideas (stick your elf against the wall with painter’s tape)
- Hide him in the washing machine
- Wrap him in toilet paper
- Let him be “toasty” and make a toasted sandwich out of him
- Build him a bed out of a tissue paper box
- Let him draw an elf picture of himself
- Send him off to the Northpole as a package
- Let him read a book
- Elves like to play PlayStation or the Xbox
- He or She likes to play twister (draw their own game mat on a computer paper)
- Build him a candy cane sled
- Elf the Shelf Calendar
- 25 Prank Guide for Elf on the Shelves
- Elf on the Shelf Report Cards
- 25 Quick Elf on the Shelf Activities
- 10 Easy Hiding Spaces
- 24 Days Elf Science Activities
- DIY Elf on the Shelf Ring Toss
- 30 Quick Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- DIY Elf Micky Ears
- Elf on the Shelf Movie Night Props
- Planning and Organizing Ideas for the Elf
For all visual learners, here are 25 Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas for you:
Elf on the Shelf FAQ’s
After enjoying these lazy Elf on the Shelf ideas, you might be curious to know more about this cute tradition. Get answers to your questions in our Elf FAQs:
What Is an Elf on the Shelf?
The Elf on the Shelf is a Christmas tradition centered around Scout Elves who fly each night to the North Pole to report to Saint Nick if each child is naughty or nice.
With their Scout Elf around kids love to maintain their best behavior, to make sure to be on Santa’s nice list!
What Are the Rules for Elf on a Shelf?
There are three rules for the Elf on the Shelf your family should follow:
- Don’t touch your Scout Elf, or they will lose their magic!
- Your Elf can’t talk but they are great listeners. Your children can share secrets and wishes with their elves as often as they’d like.
- On Christmas Eve it is time to say goodbye to your Scout Elf. All elves will return to Santa to prepare for the next Christmas.
How Does the Elf on the Shelf Tradition Work?
Each Scout Elf arrives at home in a keepsake box set that features a storybook. This elf book explains how the Elf on the Shelf works.
- 1. Read the Story and Name your Elf
After your elf arrives at your home read the story to your children, then it is crucial that you name your own scout elf.
- 2. Follow the Rules
- 3. Let the Magic Begin
When Scout Elves return each night from the North Pole, they land in a different hiding spot in your home. The founder of the Elf on the Shelf refers to this as “elf ideas.”
Essentially, elf ideas are photos or instructions that inspire elves’ new landing spots or gimmicks. Let your creativity free range.
In case you need some easy ideas, go check out these Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas.
These and more Elf on the Shelf facts and ideas can be found on the official Elf on the Shelf homepage.
Do Parents Move the Elf on the Shelf Yes or No?
Yes, the tradition of the Elf on the Shelf involves parents moving the elf.
The Elf on the Shelf is a popular holiday tradition in which parents place a small elf doll in different locations around the house each night during the holiday season.
The idea is that the elf is Santa’s scout and reports back to Santa each night about the children’s behavior. The fun for children comes from discovering where the elf is located each morning.
Parents typically move the elf after their children go to bed to create a sense of magic and excitement during the holiday season.
How Many Times Can You Touch an Elf on the Shelf?
According to the “Elf on the Shelf” tradition, it is generally advised that children do not touch the elf.
The story goes that if the elf is touched, it may lose its magic and be unable to fly back to the North Pole to report to Santa.
However, the specific “rules” for touching the elf can vary from family to family, and some families may choose to modify or ignore this aspect of the tradition.
Ultimately, the decision about how strictly to enforce the “no touching” rule is up to the parents or guardians implementing the tradition in their household.
Some families may encourage their children not to touch the elf at all, while others may be more lenient about it. It’s all in good fun and meant to enhance the holiday spirit for the children.
Easy Elf on the Shelf Hacks
Once you have set your mind and your family is adapting an Elf on the Shelf the most important thing to remember is to stay calm, don’t panic. There are a couple of Elf on the Shelf tricks you can follow to avoid stress:
- Keep Calm
- Plan ahead
- Use easy Ideas
Check out our list of 12 Easy Elf on the Shelf Hacks and Ideas everyone should know here.
What Are the Negatives of Elf on the Shelf?
While many families enjoy the Elf on the Shelf tradition, there are some criticisms and potential negatives associated with it.
Here are a few concerns that some people have raised:
- Stress for Parents
- Inequality in Participation
- Focus on Behavior Surveillance
- Disruption of Sleep
- Potential for Disappointment
It’s important to note that these concerns are subjective, and many families find the Elf on the Shelf tradition to be a delightful and enjoyable part of their holiday celebrations.
Whether or not to incorporate the Elf on the Shelf into your holiday traditions is a personal choice, and families can adapt the tradition to suit their values and preferences.
Elf on the Shelf Books and Toy
- The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition with Brown Eyed North Pole Pixie-elf with Bonus “An Elf Story” DVD
- The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition and Elf on The Shelf Hot Chocolate Gift Bundle – Original Scout Elf, Story Book and Cocoa
- The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition Brown Eyed North Pole Elf Boy with The Elf on a Shelf: Elf Pets A Reindeer Elf Pets Storybook
Easy Holiday Activities for Kids
Did you enjoy our easy lazy Elf on the Shelf ideas for kids? Your children will also enjoy our other winter activities during this jolly season!
- 12 Days of Christmas Activities
- Free Printable Gingerbread Man Templates
- Gingerbread Man Quotes
- Gingerbread Man Jokes
- Penguin Card Template
- Snowglobe Printables
- Penguin Jokes
- Mitten Craft
- Winter Hat Art and Craft
- Snowman Luminaries
- Snowman Glitter Jar
- Cupcake Liner Ornaments
- Snowflake Crystal Ornaments
- Reindeer Templates
- Candy Cane Printouts
- December Crafts
- Winter Scavenger Hunt
- Christmas Tree Projects
- Winter Bingo
- Christmas Bingo
- Christmas Crafts
- New Years Game
- New Year Activities
- Free Printable New Year Bingo
- Saint Nicholas Day Wishes
- Winter Quotes
- Advent Sayings
- December Phrases
- Snow Quotes
- Penguin Quotes
- Star Sayings
- Thankful Phrases
- Gratitude Quotes
- Giving Slogans
- Christmas Wishes
- New Years Wishes
- Occasion Quotes
Pin Our Lazy Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Kids
Don’t forget to save our 100+ Lazy Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Lil Tigers.
Now, it’s your moment to shine!
Which of these creative Elf on the Shelf ideas captured your imagination? Or perhaps you’ve got an even better one up your festive sleeve?
Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below. Your insights and ideas are warmly welcomed, and I’m eager to hear from you!